I was requested to delete a file by our developer, Jason the other day and had no way of finding out who was using the file(We use Terminal Services). I tried a forced deletion of the file. To do this, you will need to open the command prompt.
- Log into the terminal server where the file is located with administrator credentials.
- Click on the "Start" button and type in "cmd."
- The command prompt executable should appear. Click on it to run.
- Before going any further, you should find out where the file is located. Write down the full directory path.
- In the command prompt, enter "cd c:/full/directory/path/of/file"
- Type in "dir" and hit enter to confirm you are in the correct directory.
- To delete the file in use, type "del fileinuse.exe"
- The file will be forcefully deleted and disappear from the directory.